Waste management will pick up your refuse and recycling with separate trucks. Please have both receptacles outside in the appropriate spot and ready to be picked up on your designated collection day by 7:00 a.m.
Recycling and Refuse Collection Guidelines
Every ton of recycled material saves $40.22 in disposal costs, so we strongly encourage residents to recycle as much of their home refuse as possible. The following are items and materials that you can place in the recycling bin:
- Steel and aluminum cans
- Clear, green, and brown glass bottles and jars, cleaned and with lids removed
- Plastic containers labeled 1 through 7
- Paper, mail, newspaper, and magazines
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Chipped board, like cereal boxes
- Telephone books
The following items cannot be placed in your recycling bin:
- Mirrors, ceramics, drinking glasses, light bulbs, or window glass
- Containers contaminated by antifreeze, motor oil, herbicides, pesticides, and other chemicals
- Metal pipes
- Furniture or appliances
- Fuel tanks
When disposing of certain items, we ask that you please use the following guidelines:
- Appliances and furniture should be placed out with refuse for collection.
- Larger, loose materials, such as lumber of pipes, should be cut into lengths of four feet or less.
- Cut and roll carpet and carpet padding in lengths of four feet or less.
- You may not put out fuel tanks, propane tanks or metal drums for disposal.
- No automotive batteries will be collected. Return old batteries when you buy new ones.
Mattress and Furniture Disposal
Mattresses and box springs that are put out for collection must be wrapped in plastic and sealed with tape. Any furniture that has been contaminated by bed bugs must be wrapped in plastic and sealed. Thank you for your consideration in this matter. It helps to keep waste collection employees safe.
Refuse and Recycling Receptacles
The receptacles you use are the property of Kimble Companies, the waste management company, and are labeled with a serial number specific to your home and address. When you move, these must remain with the home. If you do remove them from the property, you will be charged $100 for each.
Collection and Holidays
Refuse and recycling will not be picked up on New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, or Christmas Day. If any of these holidays falls on a week day either before or on your designated collection day, your pickup will be delayed by one day.
For more information about the receptacles used for collection, contact the Bedford Service Department at (440) 735-6583.
For information or questions regarding recycling, visit the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District Website: www.cuyahogaswd.com